Glossary: Diverging? Pinch Point? Chicane? If you aren’t sure what a word means, look it up in our glossary

How to apply for your driving test

Once you have learnt to drive safely and completed mandatory training (EDT for category B or IBT for Category AM (M), A1, A2 or A) the next step is to apply for your driving test.

NOTE: bus drivers and truck drivers should refer to the Driver CPC Section for the CPC Driving Test.

You can apply and pay for your driving test online at You will need a credit or debit card together with a valid email address to complete the application online.

Alternatively, you can download a driving test form from or obtain one from your local Garda station or Motor Tax Office. Send the completed form, with a cheque, postal order or money order made payable to the Road Safety Authority to:

Driver Testing Section,
Road Safety Authority,
Moy Valley Business Park,
Primrose Hill,
Dublin Road,
County Mayo.



To take a Driving Test you must comply with the following requirements: