Before you are a fully licensed driver

To obtain a Learner Permit

Apply for and pass your theory test.

After you pass the theory test you may then apply to your local NDLS office for your learner permit and include your theory test certificate with your application form and other documents (see Driving licences & vehicle categories section). When you have your learner permit you should book your driving lessons from an Approved Driving Instructor to learn how to drive safely and correctly.

See more information on Essential Driver Training (EDT) for cars and Initial Basic Training (IBT) for motorcycles.

It is illegal to give driving instruction for hire reward to learner drivers if you are not registered with the Road Safety Authority. A list of Approved Driving Instructors (ADI) is available on Road Safety Authority website.