Glossary: Diverging? Pinch Point? Chicane? If you aren’t sure what a word means, look it up in our glossary


You must hold a current driving licence or learner permit for a motorcycle or moped. See the Driving licences and vehicles categories section for information on licences and/permits and the categories of vehicle they cover. As a motorcyclist on a learner permit you will be required to display an 'L' on a yellow fluorescent tabard to give greater awareness to other road users that you are a learner and that additional care may be required. The 'L' must conform in size and colour to the normal 'L' plate.